Letter To College Students: How to have a Successful Semester
Dear college students,
First of all, hope you’re having a fantastic start to the spring semester. I know what it’s like to be starting school again- not looking forward to the homework! As a freshman, I was lost and naive, but excited about a college life. As a sophomore, I’d gotten the gist of things, and I knew where to find every lecture hall and cool campus hangout. As a junior, the pressures of my impending senior year kicked in, and my internship search occupied every open space in my brain that wasn’t filled with a million other issues. And now I’m a senior. After all that I have done and seen and heard as a college student, I think I can boil down the secrets to a successful semester in a few key points as follows:
- Go to Class: I know you’d rather be doing a zillion better things, but going to class actually helps a lot. Oh and don’t just go, try to listen. Personally, I think if you listen at least half the time, you are sure to register at least some of the material. It might just be a little but that can come in handy during chapter reviews, quizzes, tests and such. I know we all hate it. Just do it anyway.
- Get “Cool” with your teacher: This helps a whole lot. Especially for days when you miss class or have to turn in work late for some reason. If you have a good relationship with the teacher, you’re sure to have a much easier time in that class.
- Do Homework: No one likes homework. I know the feeling. However, doing homework actually helps keep you up to speed with coursework. You want a good grade, well guess what? Do your homework!
- Do other FUN things besides school: This is very important. Some wise person said “all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy” and I agree. You will go insane if all you think about is classes, homework and projects. I know this because I lived it. Have some fun, join a club, and take your mind off books. Do something that makes you happy
- Be yourself and believe in yourself: I know this is the biggest cliché of all clichés. It’s still very true though. Do “you”. Be proud of who you are and what you represent and do not be afraid to take bold steps and go for what you want.
- Start each day fresh: If you carry yesterday’s worries into today, you will make today an unpleasant day. So, start anew each day. Hakuna Matata! And be sure to smile and be positive! This one’s my favorite rule.
That’s my take on how to have an overall great time this semester. Now, go forth and BE AWESOME!!
Apply to Write for Uloop NewsJoin the Uloop News Team
Discuss This Article
More Uloop Campus Life Articles
Recent University of Maryland News Articles
UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND Housing Listings
WRITE FOR ULOOPApply to Write for Uloop News
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
TOP 5 NEWS ARTICLES
BROWSE OTHER COLLEGES
- By CollegeJohns Hopkins UniversityUniversity of MarylandTowson UniversityUniversity of Maryland-Baltimore CountySalisbury UniversityFrederick Community CollegeMount St. Mary's UniversityBowie State UniversityCollege of Notre Dame of MarylandWashington Adventist UniversityCoppin State UniversityFrostburg State UniversityGoucher CollegeHood CollegeLoyola College in MarylandMaryland Institute College of ArtMcDaniel CollegeMorgan State UniversitySojourner-Douglass CollegeSt. Mary's College of MarylandUnited States Naval AcademyUniversity of BaltimoreUniversity of Maryland-Eastern ShoreUniversity of Maryland-University CollegeStevenson UniversityWashington CollegeMontgomery CollegeAllegany College of MarylandAnne Arundel Community CollegeBaltimore City Community CollegeCarroll Community College Chesapeake College College of Southern Maryland Community College of Baltimore CountyHoward Community College Wor-Wic Community College Aesthetics Institute of CosmetologyAll-State Career-BaltimoreAspen Beauty Academy of LaurelAward Beauty SchoolBais HaMedrash and Mesivta of BaltimoreBaltimore Studio of Hair DesignBlades School of Hair DesignCapitol Technology UniversityColumbia InstituteCosmopolitan Beauty and Tech SchoolDelmarva Beauty AcademyDeVry University-MarylandEmpire Beauty School-Glen BurnieEmpire Beauty School-Owings MillsEverest Institute-Silver SpringFaith Theological SeminaryFinger Lakes School of MassageFortis Institute-BaltimoreFortis Institute-TowsonHair Expressions AcademyHolistic Massage Training InstituteInstitute of Health SciencesITT Technical Institute-HanoverKaplan University-Hagerstown CampusLincoln College of Technology-ColumbiaMaple Springs Baptist Bible College and SeminaryMaryland Beauty Academy of ReisterstownMaryland University of Integrative HealthMontgomery Beauty SchoolNer Israel Rabbinical CollegeRegency Beauty Institute-Baltimore Golden RingRegency Beauty Institute-GaithersburgStrayer University-Anne Arundel CampusStrayer University-MarylandStrayer University-Rockville CampusStrayer University-White Marsh CampusTESST College of Technology-BaltimoreTESST College of Technology-BeltsvilleTESST College of Technology-TowsonThe Colorlab Academy of HairThe Community College of Baltimore CountyUniversity of Maryland-BaltimoreUniversity of Phoenix-Maryland
- By State
- By City