The Varsity attempted robbery
21-year-old Demonte Antonio Spearman was arrested Feb. 6 for attempted robbery at The Varsity apartment complex in College Park, according to Cpl. Larry Johnson of the Prince George’s County Police Department.
Police say officers were called to the 8100 block of Baltimore Avenue on Jan. 27 around 1 p.m. According to Johnson, Spearman entered the common room of the apartment building and pulled out what officers believe to be a fake handgun. He then demanded the computer of the victim, a student who refused to cooperate and who attempted to fight off Spearman. It was only when a witness came into the room and tried to break up the fight that Spearman ran away, said Johnson.
“[Spearman] admitted to his involvement and his actions on that day,” said Johnson.
Because The Varsity is a major off-campus housing facility at the University of Maryland, College Park, the attempted robbery has caused concern from student residents and their parents and has surfaced many security questions about the building.
“The Varsity would benefit from doors that automatically lock,” said resident Samantha Mundie, who said she used to never think twice about locking her door until recently.
“Ever since the incident, my roommates and I have been leaving sticky notes saying to remember to lock the door. We never worried about locking it before, but I am more concerned about it now, more than ever in my two years living here,” said Mundie.
Mundie also said there should be more cameras in the building to reduce crime, such as when residents stole artwork from some of the walls last year. According to Mundie, there are no cameras in the hallways.
Nonetheless, The Varsity has made efforts to improve its security, as seen by the increase in security guards in the building within the last four weeks, especially near the stairwell exits.
These stairwell exits have been a major problem in the past, according to Mundie, who has seen many people prop the doors open with bottles, allowing anyone to be able to enter.
“The weekends are the worst because everyone is coming in and out and alcohol is involved,” said Mundie.
Although Spearman’s attempted robbery has raised many safety concerns at The Varsity, Johnson said, “I wouldn’t say The Varsity is a particular hot-spot for robbery. It can happen at any establishment.”
However, the incident, along with many other crimes that have recently occurred, including a strong armed robbery and the shooting last Tuesday, have made many students feel unsafe about living in the area.
“I feel unsafe now in College Park. It’s scary hearing about so many armed robberies and situations like this where it is difficult to defend yourself,” said student Victoria Ortiz.
“My TA from last semester was traumatized from an armed robbery in College Park and it made it real to me that this happens to people we know.”
Ortiz said she thinks there are always opportunities for improvement for campus safety, such as better Night Ride services so that students can get home safely at night.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
Discuss This Article
More Uloop Campus Life Articles
Recent University of Maryland News Articles
RECENT UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND CLASSIFIEDS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
TOP UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND NEWS
- 5 Things Freshman Should Invest In Before Moving Into a Dorm
- How 7 Popular Apps Got Their Names
- One week in Paris: How to Make the Most of Your Time
- Have We Forgotten The Importance Of Solitude?
- Managing Your Time Helps Manage Your Life
- College: The Right Fit--A Home Away From Home
- Surprising Things Every Freshman Needs: SRU Edition
MOST POPULAR UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND NEWS
BROWSE OTHER COLLEGES
- By CollegeJohns Hopkins UniversityUniversity of MarylandTowson UniversityUniversity of Maryland-Baltimore CountySalisbury UniversityFrederick Community CollegeMount St. Mary's UniversityBowie State UniversityCollege of Notre Dame of MarylandWashington Adventist UniversityCoppin State UniversityFrostburg State UniversityGoucher CollegeHood CollegeLoyola College in MarylandMaryland Institute College of ArtMcDaniel CollegeMorgan State UniversitySojourner-Douglass CollegeSt. Mary's College of MarylandUnited States Naval AcademyUniversity of BaltimoreUniversity of Maryland-Eastern ShoreUniversity of Maryland-University CollegeStevenson UniversityWashington CollegeMontgomery CollegeAllegany College of MarylandAnne Arundel Community CollegeBaltimore City Community CollegeCarroll Community College Chesapeake College College of Southern Maryland Community College of Baltimore CountyHoward Community College Wor-Wic Community College Aesthetics Institute of CosmetologyAll-State Career-BaltimoreAspen Beauty Academy of LaurelAward Beauty SchoolBais HaMedrash and Mesivta of BaltimoreBaltimore Studio of Hair DesignBlades School of Hair DesignCapitol Technology UniversityColumbia InstituteCosmopolitan Beauty and Tech SchoolDelmarva Beauty AcademyDeVry University-MarylandEmpire Beauty School-Glen BurnieEmpire Beauty School-Owings MillsEverest Institute-Silver SpringFaith Theological SeminaryFinger Lakes School of MassageFortis Institute-BaltimoreFortis Institute-TowsonHair Expressions AcademyHolistic Massage Training InstituteInstitute of Health SciencesITT Technical Institute-HanoverKaplan University-Hagerstown CampusLincoln College of Technology-ColumbiaMaple Springs Baptist Bible College and SeminaryMaryland Beauty Academy of ReisterstownMaryland University of Integrative HealthMontgomery Beauty SchoolNer Israel Rabbinical CollegeRegency Beauty Institute-Baltimore Golden RingRegency Beauty Institute-GaithersburgStrayer University-Anne Arundel CampusStrayer University-MarylandStrayer University-Rockville CampusStrayer University-White Marsh CampusTESST College of Technology-BaltimoreTESST College of Technology-BeltsvilleTESST College of Technology-TowsonThe Colorlab Academy of HairThe Community College of Baltimore CountyUniversity of Maryland-BaltimoreUniversity of Phoenix-Maryland
- By State
- By City