The Varsity attempted robbery
21-year-old Demonte Antonio Spearman was arrested Feb. 6 for attempted robbery at The Varsity apartment complex in College Park, according to Cpl. Larry Johnson of the Prince George’s County Police Department.
Police say officers were called to the 8100 block of Baltimore Avenue on Jan. 27 around 1 p.m. According to Johnson, Spearman entered the common room of the apartment building and pulled out what officers believe to be a fake handgun. He then demanded the computer of the victim, a student who refused to cooperate and who attempted to fight off Spearman. It was only when a witness came into the room and tried to break up the fight that Spearman ran away, said Johnson.
“[Spearman] admitted to his involvement and his actions on that day,” said Johnson.
Because The Varsity is a major off-campus housing facility at the University of Maryland, College Park, the attempted robbery has caused concern from student residents and their parents and has surfaced many security questions about the building.
“The Varsity would benefit from doors that automatically lock,” said resident Samantha Mundie, who said she used to never think twice about locking her door until recently.
“Ever since the incident, my roommates and I have been leaving sticky notes saying to remember to lock the door. We never worried about locking it before, but I am more concerned about it now, more than ever in my two years living here,” said Mundie.
Mundie also said there should be more cameras in the building to reduce crime, such as when residents stole artwork from some of the walls last year. According to Mundie, there are no cameras in the hallways.
Nonetheless, The Varsity has made efforts to improve its security, as seen by the increase in security guards in the building within the last four weeks, especially near the stairwell exits.
These stairwell exits have been a major problem in the past, according to Mundie, who has seen many people prop the doors open with bottles, allowing anyone to be able to enter.
“The weekends are the worst because everyone is coming in and out and alcohol is involved,” said Mundie.
Although Spearman’s attempted robbery has raised many safety concerns at The Varsity, Johnson said, “I wouldn’t say The Varsity is a particular hot-spot for robbery. It can happen at any establishment.”
However, the incident, along with many other crimes that have recently occurred, including a strong armed robbery and the shooting last Tuesday, have made many students feel unsafe about living in the area.
“I feel unsafe now in College Park. It’s scary hearing about so many armed robberies and situations like this where it is difficult to defend yourself,” said student Victoria Ortiz.
“My TA from last semester was traumatized from an armed robbery in College Park and it made it real to me that this happens to people we know.”
Ortiz said she thinks there are always opportunities for improvement for campus safety, such as better Night Ride services so that students can get home safely at night.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
Discuss This Article
More Uloop Campus Life Articles
Recent University of Maryland News Articles
RECENT UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND CLASSIFIEDS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
TOP UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND NEWS
- UMD's Public Education in the Early American Republic
- Beyond the Lens: The Life of Bettie Page
- FSU Inducted into Division of Blind Services Awards Program
- National Parks: A Celebration of Beauty Pt. 3
- College Clichés: Investigating the Truth Behind These Common Adages
- 5 Easy Ways to Spice Up Your Workout
- President Obama Wants America to Go to Mars by 2030, but Facts Say...
MOST POPULAR UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND NEWS
BROWSE OTHER COLLEGES
- By CollegeAesthetics Institute of CosmetologyAll-State Career-BaltimoreAllegany College of MarylandAnne Arundel Community CollegeAspen Beauty Academy of LaurelAward Beauty SchoolBais HaMedrash and Mesivta of BaltimoreBaltimore City Community CollegeBaltimore Studio of Hair DesignBlades School of Hair DesignBowie State UniversityCapitol Technology UniversityCarroll Community College Chesapeake College College of Notre Dame of MarylandCollege of Southern Maryland Columbia InstituteCommunity College of Baltimore CountyCoppin State UniversityCosmopolitan Beauty and Tech SchoolDelmarva Beauty AcademyDeVry University-MarylandEmpire Beauty School-Glen BurnieEmpire Beauty School-Owings MillsEverest Institute-Silver SpringFaith Theological SeminaryFinger Lakes School of MassageFortis Institute-BaltimoreFortis Institute-TowsonFrederick Community CollegeFrostburg State UniversityGoucher CollegeHair Expressions AcademyHolistic Massage Training InstituteHood CollegeHoward Community College Institute of Health SciencesITT Technical Institute-HanoverJohns Hopkins UniversityKaplan University-Hagerstown CampusLincoln College of Technology-ColumbiaLoyola College in MarylandMaple Springs Baptist Bible College and SeminaryMaryland Beauty Academy of ReisterstownMaryland Institute College of ArtMaryland University of Integrative HealthMcDaniel CollegeMontgomery Beauty SchoolMontgomery CollegeMorgan State UniversityMount St. Mary's UniversityNer Israel Rabbinical CollegeRegency Beauty Institute-Baltimore Golden RingRegency Beauty Institute-GaithersburgSalisbury UniversitySojourner-Douglass CollegeSt. Mary's College of MarylandStevenson UniversityStrayer University-Anne Arundel CampusStrayer University-MarylandStrayer University-Rockville CampusStrayer University-White Marsh CampusTESST College of Technology-BaltimoreTESST College of Technology-BeltsvilleTESST College of Technology-TowsonThe Colorlab Academy of HairThe Community College of Baltimore CountyTowson UniversityUnited States Naval AcademyUniversity of BaltimoreUniversity of MarylandUniversity of Maryland-BaltimoreUniversity of Maryland-Baltimore CountyUniversity of Maryland-Eastern ShoreUniversity of Maryland-University CollegeUniversity of Phoenix-MarylandWashington Adventist UniversityWashington CollegeWor-Wic Community College
- By State
- By City